Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Go PoPo Go!

The sun was shinning, the windows were rolled down, Newsboys was blaring through the speakers, and my mood was light. It had been a productive day at work and my lunch hour had been relaxing and fun. I was headed home and looking forward to seeing my hubby. Driving down Louisville’s Watterson HWY I saw a pick up truck with a cute yellow lab in the back. The dog was smiling in the only way dogs can: with his mouth wide open, his tongue hanging out, and a twinkle in his eye. I laughed and thought to myself that he must be loving life right now and I made a mental note to tell Brandon about him when I got home. I continued singing along with my CD and would occasionally glance over at the dog and smile to myself.

To my horror, as the truck changed lanes the dog was nearly dumped out of the truck. The dog had been standing on the edge of the truck and driver was so quick to get over the dog came with in inches of falling out. My mood immediately changed; I got behind the truck and began to keep a close watch on the dog in the back.

After the dog was nearly thrown out of the truck for a second time I decided that I was going to send a letter to the ASPCA or anyone else that might be able to do something about it; even it was to only educate the moron about driving with a dog in the back of a pick up truck. I pulled out my camera and snapped a few decent shots to send along with my complaining letter and began mentally writing it out.

As the truck began to pick up speed and I ended up 3 cars behind him I made sure to keep him in my sight. As we were coming up on 71 the truck swerved over onto the 71N ramp so quickly ½ of the poor dog was tipped over the side; the only thing that kept him in the truck was that his leash was attached to the side. Choking and yelping the dog frantically began to scratch his way back into the truck. The driver made a hard jerk in the opposite direction, I assume to “help” the dog back in the truck, and the dog was able to get back in the truck.

At this point I was livid and decided that action had to be taken immediately. I knew I had the Oldham County Police number and frantically searched for my phone while trying to keep up with the pick up truck. The truck reached speeds of 85mph and trailing him was becoming a hard task; especially since we were in the middle of rush hour and I was searching for my phone.
I called the Police department and they took all of my information, current location along with a report; they told me that they were sending squad car out to look for him. Shocked at their quick and immediate response I called Brandon and told him I was going to be late and explained the situation. While on the phone with Brandon the police station called me back asking where I was and if I was still following the truck. When I said yes they asked me to continue to follow and to stay on the line so they would know the trucks location. I remained behind the truck as it got off at Exit 22, LaGrange, and watched as a police car pulled out in front of me to pull the truck over.

I have no idea what happened after that; however, I’m sure the driver was given either given a strict warning OR a ticket. I would be happy with both. I was also glad to learn that my police department was willing to help out and stuck it out through the whole process, even until the truck was pulled over.

Props go out to the Oldham County Police Department, they ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment