Monday, March 2, 2009

Chocolate Dreams


Monday, February 27, 2009 Brandon and I attended a formal fundraiser hosted by GuardiaCare. It was an elegant evening of chocolate, wine, and filled with the higher class of the Louisville Metro. Held at Churchill Downs in the triple crown room money and prestige was seen through out the room. Brandon and I made sure to dress accordingly and I was relieved that we did. People strutted around the room all evening with the noses in the air and plenty of money in their pockets. The event held raffles, door prizes, and a silent auction so there were many opportunities to give all that money to GuardiaCare.

We tasted all sorts of chocolate from 13 different vendors, 12 of which were local restaurants. Everything from truffles, chocolate dipped strawberries, and chocolate covered bacon. Yes, I said chocolate covered bacon. I understand that the idea of a mixture of salty and sweet may sound ingenious; however, the taste was anything but appealing. We heard many rave about the dessert all evening but Brandon and I prefer to keep bacon something you eat with pancakes or eggs not dessert. By the end of the night we were all chocolated out and couldn't bring ourselves to try the last 3 desserts placed on a plate before us. Instead, we rested our weary feet, let our stomachs take a break from the sugar rush, and patiently waited for the drawings to take place.

While waiting Brandon wanted to stroll the silent auction and check out on of the prizes; 2 round trip tickets to anywhere in the US with a starting bid of $400 and the total value was given $800. We both thought it was a good deal and decided to jump in on the fun! Immediately after placing a bid of $550 another couple swooped in. You were only allowed to bid in $5 increments so Brandon and I decided to make them work for it. After discussing how high we were willing to go, $600, we bid again and watched as yet again they were quick to up the anty. Feeling competitive we played their game; each of us keeping a close watch on the other till there was only 5 minutes left. They had put down the last bid and they were just about to close the auction when I saw that a volunteer I had spoken to earlier in the evening standing at the end of the table. I walked over and we chatted for a second. Later, Brandon was amazed at how conniving his wife was. I told him the conversation went like this:

Me: Why hello, how is your evening going? Did you get to try everything?
Her: Hello again! I did, it was wonderful but I don't think I will want chocolate again any time soon.
Me: (laughing) When is the auction over?
Her: 8: pm
Me: what time is it?
Her: (smiling) 8:pm
Me: (laughing) well then I better get my last minute bid in...
Her: better hurry I'm just about to pull up the papers.
- I made the last bid for $600 and she took the paper from my hand as I thanked her. :) Needless to say, the other couple was NOT happy with us.

It was a fun evening and we walked away with good memories, fun pictures, and 2 round trip airplane tickets to anywhere in the continental US. We've decided to go to the Grand Canyon and quickly found out we got a REALLY good deal. We only paid $300 per ticket; however, the tickets to Phoenix, AR round trip are $1200 a PIECE!

No comments:

Post a Comment