Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Working for the Big Screen

Last night I, once again, put on a dress and headed out for yet another theatre experience. This time it was to be in front of a movie camera. During Whodunnit's Fashion Show at the Castle of Blood one of my cast members approached me about taking a part in his most recent movie, a low budget independent film that he was co-directing. Thinking it might be fun, something to check off my bucket list, and add to my resume I said: why not! :)

The cast and crew were very friendly and overall I had a really good time. This was the crew's 3rd movie they had worked on together and were using the same characters. As it turns out, Jim gave me a copy of their first movie The Finale which I found hysterical. This movie utilizes the same characters from Finale and is called Jim Bo Goes to Hollywood. All 3 films are stoner films filled with stupid humor and corny jokes; they have a cult classic feel to them. They all use Louisville locations and draw on it's history. They're not Hollywood quality but the first one is even sold here in Louisville at Barnes and Noble stores. We filmed last nights scene at the LaGrange Irish Rover and were given more than one weird look... it was fun!

Acting for a film and acting on stage are VERY different and require VERY different skills. Stage theatre requires quick thinking and instant reactions, I learned film has to be consistent and precise. For the purpose of continuity, each time they shoot the scene from a new angle or OVER and OVER and OVER again to get it just right you have to have the ability to say your line with the exact same intonation EVERY time and react the exact same way EVERY time. For them to be able to fit the pieces together and have it work it all has to be identical!

OHMYWORD it's HARD!!!

Most stage actors know that every show is a little different and that's one thing that makes it exciting. It's nothing close to that when doing film work; Hollywood pros make it look so easy!

I will do one more scene, the scene that comes before the one we did tonight, and as far as I know right now that will be the end of my movie career. Hehe. They do hold “premiers” and house the movie in a small theatre so if I want I can go see my face plastered on the big screen… I’m not real wild about that idea. Seeing my face at that scale does not sound remotely appealing; especially since they did some close ups of me. :-P

All in all it was really neat to see what kind of work goes in to the whole ordeal and get to experience what it's like to be apart of a real movie. Everyone said I did a great job and was happy with my work so I went home content and with a little more cash in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment