Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Who's Taking Care of Who?

Many experts say that dogs are some of the smartest animals and that certain breeds show a higher intelligence than humans; most claim it's their sixth sense. Their natural ability to sense things way beyond human capabilities has always astounded me and this morning was no different.

For weeks Tiko has been acting a little... off. He's acted more clingy and in need of attention, he's been following me around the house as if he's afraid of losing sight of me, and has developed a weird and sudden fascination with getting under things. He's gotten under the bed more than once, he will lay with his head under the ottoman, the kitchen table, or even a kitchen chair. Our home has not exactly been at peace emotionally with all the death we've experienced in the past two months but this morning was something completely different.

As usual I woke up around 2: AM for my morning bathroom break, one of the many joys of being pregnant. Having taken a Benedryl sinus, I felt in no condition to really get up and walk to the bathroom no matter how close it may be or how badly I had to go. I stirred, looked at the clock, groaned, and rolled over. Tiko, who was laying on the bed with me since Brandon was out of town, got up and moved closer to me and laid his head on my chest. When I didn't respond he began to nose at me. When I gave him the command to quit he stood up and walked a few circles and laid back down; when he got up to do this for a third time I firmly commanded him to lay down. He abruptly huffed and collapsed on the bed landing half on top of me and began to nose at me again. By this point I was awake enough to use the restroom and decided to get up.

Like every other night when I get up Tiko followed me to the restroom and sat down next to to the toilet while I took care of business. We both walked back to the bed together and he patiently waited for me to give the ok for him to join me. Once on the bed he quickly got comfortable on Brandon's side and left me alone.

At 4:30 I woke up again feeling the need to use the restroom; I groaned and again rolled over to ignore the urge and go back to sleep. As if one cue Tiko took position up close to me and began to nose at me again! With out a fight I got up and went to the bathroom with my dog happily trotting behind me with his tongue hanging out contently.

At 7:15 when my alarm went off for the third time, yet again, Tiko began the process of getting me out of bed and even went as far as to lick my face, hands, and arms. I was so shocked I couldn't help but smile and rub his ears.

It wasn't until I was half way to work did I really put together what happened with Tiko. I still don't understand it but while Brandon is out of town I know that I have someone, or something, that will take care of me. Crazy dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment