Sunday, June 20, 2010

1st Diaper Cake


A co-worker and good friend of mine was recently thrown a baby shower at work. Unsure of what to get her I looked over the registry and found that nothing really caught my eye. Since I was feeling crafty I looked online at some diaper cakes and toyed with the idea of whether or not I could pull something like that off. Having never made one in my life and having only seen 1 in person I researched the topic for 3 days; I looked at designs, methods, cost, and materials. I spent 3 days working on the cake: rolling diapers, wrapping ribbon, making bows, and trying to find a place for all the fun decor. Since I had never made one or really seen more than one in person I was a little nervous about how it would turn out. I had a blast putting it all together was actually pleased with the result, I had read so many horror stories of first timers that I was surprised at how nice mine looked.

The mother LOVED the cake, I even got a hug for it, and should another baby shower arise I hope to make another one. I think next time though I'll split the cost and work with someone. ;)


The tally came out to...

Structure:
65 Diapers
68 Rubber bands
1 Large circle of Cardboard
1 piece of scrapbook paper
2 sticks of hot-glue
6 Glue Dots
1 lg. bottle of Baby Shampoo (to secure the middle)
1 travel size bottle of baby power (to secure the top)

Decor:
9ft. of fat ribbon (wrapped around each tier)
2 ft. of skinny ribbon (made into bows)
8 Diaper pins
4 Moist Wipes
2 pairs of no scratch mittens
2 feeding spoons
2 wrist rattles
1 travel size bottle of baby oil
1 tube Diaper Rash cream
1 pacifier
1 teether/ cold pack
1 pack baby stickers
1 Carebears Babies First Words
1 Sm. Teddy Bear


*I highly recommend a diaper cake for any kind of baby shower and for anyone who enjoys crafting. I learned that making one is a WHOLE lot cheaper than buying one and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! The hardest part was picking out the decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment