Thursday, July 29, 2010

Making it 3-D

My first two ventures with recreating Dr. Seuss books to put on the nursery walls turned out wonderfully! While discussing the project with a co-worker he recommended that I make a couple of them 3-D. Thinking it was a great idea I decided that 2:4 would have a few 3-D elements.

The ham and eggs on the tray and tree puffs are 3-D:
Green Eggs and Ham

I think it's almost impossible to see what's 3-D and what's not in pictures but none the less there are 3-D elements in the artwork that can be seen really well in person. They've added a nice and subtle touch to each piece and really turned out nicely!

At first I thought I brought the wrong glue to work; thinking I needed tacky or hot glue, but in the end of I tried out a scrapbooking pop-square and it worked GREAT! Each picture was printed and gessoed in the same fashion of the other two canvas' so that the entire picture was on the canvas. I then printed what I wanted to become 3-D on card stock and cut it out; using scrapbooking pop-squares I adhered the card stock to the canvas and presto I had a 3-D effect. It took me less than 10 minutes to do both pictures! If the scrapbooking squares loose their adhesive over time I will try tacky glue but for now it's working.

The clocks are 3-D: Fox in Socks

Although the cost of all the supplies was $30 I still have 3 unused canvas' and plenty of paint, some of which I have yet to open and may return. When you calculate it all out each piece of art cost about $3.50 to make and took about 1-2 hours of work each. In my opinion you can't beat that! I still have the clock to do but that will be done for free because we already had the clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment