Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Homemade Nursery

As I've said I have plans to make all the artwork for the nursery. I've chosen 4 books to display on canvas': One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax, and either Fox in Socks or Oh! The Places You Will Go!. The clock will be Cat in the Hat and I found a HUGE floor puzzle (22"x 36") of Yertle the Turtle at 1/2 Price Books for $4 that will be framed in a poster frame we already own!

Here is the first piece of art:
Instead of gessoing a canvas, turns out the gesso was not as cheap as I thought, I bought a pack of 7 blank canvas' on sale for $14.99. I hit the jackpot at Michaels getting acrylic paint on sale for $0.33 a bottle, a set of 14 sponge brushes for $0.99, and a small tub of Satin Finish Mod Podge for $5.00. A little more than planned but well worth the extra $5; I actually saved $10 by buying my canvas' and not using gesso, go figure!

The art was SO simple to make! First I scanned the front of the book and blew up the images I wanted: the 4 fish and the lettering, then I cut them out. I painted the canvas yellow and used mod podge to glue each image down where I wanted it. Once everything was glued down I used 2 coats mod podge over the entire canvas to seal everything. Presto! I'm done!

On my next canvas I want to try to make some of it 3-D. A co-worker explained I can do this by using scrapbooking pop-dot/ squares just like you would on a scrapbook page. I just have to make sure that the image that becomes 3-D is on thicker paper so it doesn't curl over time; he recommended I use card stock.

Since the first piece turned out so well I have high hopes for my 3-D venture, but we'll see. Either way I'm having an absolute blast with this! Ü

Artwork #2 (The Lorax)

No comments:

Post a Comment