Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nursery Fun

I have scowered the stores for neutral bedding and in the end chose a nursery theme based off a childrens book, go figure. Dr. Seuss will soon fill the walls and spirit of our child's room no matter what gender that child may be.

Trend Lab has the cutest Dr. Seuss ABC's bedding and I'm in LOVE with all the color! Once the bedding was Brandon approved I began my search for ideas. I've spent hours pursuing nursery pictures online and Dr. Seuss products. I've looked in Teacher stores, department stores, E-bay, Craigslist, and Amazon. There are plenty of fun products out there but when it came to doing something with the walls I was at a loss. I found everything from huge elaborate painted murals to removable decals. Initially I thought of doing a couple decals; however, they are expensive and I could easily spend over $100 on them.

The next step was to set a budget and make it work. Since I was thinking decals and wanted to keep the option of painting open I set a budget of $100. I have resources at work that would allow me to make my own decals if I wanted but after some researching I decided to keep it simple in hopes of doing everything for under $50; that includes paint. Now that we've finally decided to put the baby in what is currently the office, or front bedroom, I purchased some washcloths that match the bedding to get an idea of the color scheme. Turns out I may not even have to paint since the brown paint in there might work, possibly another $25 saved!

That just left the walls. Yet again, to save money I decided to scan and frame characters from the books, instead of decals, and went in search of some cheap frames at the Dollar Tree. While there I noticed some ugly oil paintings that were the size I was looking for. Crafty inspiration peaked, I could gesso ($2-5) the canvas and modge podge ($2-5) the characters onto the it and would give me the opportunity to be a little more creative with the artwork; I could make even make them 3-D. For only $1 a canvas I decided to do a small collage of 4-6 Dr. Seuss books.

At my last scrapbooking retreat I won a clock that is made to be scrapbooked as a door prize. I've never known what to do with it until now! Using the Cat in the Hat as my inspiration I've decided scrapbook my own clock instead of buying the $20 one. :)

To finish everything off I found cheap bulletin board letters for $6, but I have a 30% off coupon, to do a cute Dr. Seuss quote over the crib: "A Person is a Person no matter how small."

I'm still in search of what to do for curtains but I'm sure I'll figure something cheap out. :) All thoughts and ideas for curtains are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment