Monday, April 26, 2010

Phenomenal Performance

*Original Broadway Poster Cover

This weekend I had the pleasure of going to see my cousin star in his high school Musical: Sweeny Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. How is in the world a high school was given rights to do such a play is beyond me; however, why in the world the superintendent gave the high school permission to do such a show is what really astounds me. Despite that, it was an incredible performance. I don't just say that because I'm biased towards family, EVERYONE did a really awesome job down to the youngest cast member.

The score is VERY complex and the plot completely ironic; it's wonderful! Considering the level of skill needed to pull off such a show, I give the school an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up. The set, costumes, music, props, acting, singing, lighting, everything was top notch!

As morbid as you may find it, Sweeny Todd is my favorite musical of ALL time! I've loved it since I first read and heard the score in my high school IB Theatre class back in 2002. While in college I spent weeks studying it in a Modern Literature course and was thrilled to watch a video recording of Angela Landsbury play Mrs. Lovett opposite George Hearn as Sweeny Todd on a live stage.

When the revival tour hit Louisville you better believe that I was there! When my two men in Hollywood, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, teamed up to put it on the big screen I was ALL OVER IT! This weekend I got to see my cousin ROCK it out as one of my favorite Broadway characters! It was a great weekend and a phenomenal performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment