Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Flying High

The surgery couldn't have gone any better than it did. My Dr. is very happy with the outcome and expects great results. She definitely found endometriosis and had even had to burn off a few lesions to boot. I see that as a good thing, the more she cleans the better I feel!

My experience at Baptist East was pretty good. My pre-op nurse was a little.... distracted. When she found out I had seen an ENT about meniere's disease she did nothing but try and pull the name of my doctor out of me, even though I couldn't remember and didn't really care. She has a friend that is looking into getting tested and seemed desperate to get a recommendation.

She had to poke me twice to get my IV started; the second time she didn't get my vein numbed and thus I felt the ENTIRE process of her inserting the needle and tubing. When I cried out in pain she told me that it shouldn't hurt because she had numbed me; yea, because my back arched, my eyes watering, and my scream meant it felt good!

Even after the IV was inserted it continued to burn and sting. I said something to two different nurses and each time was told to get over it. buck it up, and stop being a whimp. The comments did NOTHING to calm my anxiety about the surgery and in fact made it worse. It wasn't until they gave me the "happy drugs" did I start to feel better.

They wheeled me back to the operating room and placed me on the table in a crucifix position, with my arms outstretched... weird; I hope I didn't make any crucifix jokes! After having to get up so early and a dose of "happy drugs" it only took one inhalation of the anesthetic to knock me out; I never even saw my doctor come in. The next thing I knew I was in recovery with a dry mouth and upset stomach, nothing a little water and crackers and Motrin couldn't help. With in a hour I was in phase II recovery and was able to see Brandon. The nurses in recovery were AWESOME, super sweet, and very gentle and released me to go home before 11; I was home in my own bed sleeping before 12.

I've slept on and off most of the day and the only soreness I've had so far is in my shoulders. In a way, I feel like I've been in a car accident again the way my whole upper body aches. I'm sure my abdomen and incision pain/ cramps will come tomorrow. :)

I'm home, I'm happy, and I'm recovering.
Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment