Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Silver Platter

These days most of our stories revolve around our son. I think Tiko, our dog, must have been feeling a bit jilted and has decided to create a little action to get one of his own. :)

This past Sunday night we planned our meals for the week and pulled out all the necessary meat for thawing. Seeing my husband take a 1-2 lb. chuck roast outside I assumed he placed it on the table (mistake #1- Erin) so it could be prepared that night for tomorrows dinner. Just before leaving for the grocery store I noticed that Tiko wanted out and with out really looking into the yard the I opened the door and let him out (mistake #2- Erin).

After a full grocery trip I made my way out to the car and noticed that I had missed 4 calls from Brandon. Shocked, the phone was on vibrate, I quickly dialed to see what emergency I missed. Calmly Brandon explained that we would not be having roast tomorrow night and he wanted to see what I wanted to fix instead. Not understanding the need for 4 calls over this confusion hit my like a brick and I asked "Why"? With a slight chuckle Brandon asked me if I had let the dog out and again I was unable to connect the dots. It wasn't until Brandon explained that Tiko had got a hold of our dinner that I understood. My classic belly laugh came bellowing out of me as I pictured our dog greedily going at the frozen meat. Surely he thought we had laid it out there just for him because Brandon had placed it on a chair (not the table like I thought) at head height in the middle of the yard; it was as if it were on a silver platter! When I let him out I'm sure he went straight for it. I was so distracted with the grocery list I didn't even notice the meat or the Tiko's excitement as I opened the door. Laughing still I defended Tiko, as it was truly my mistake, and commented on how smart he was.

The meat was completely shredded and Brandon tossed it all in the outside bin. Almost 2 lbs of raw chuck roast meat wasted, such a shame. hehehe. Since there was no real way to tell how much Tiko actually swallowed, how much he just tenderized, or how any of it would affect his system he slept outside Sunday night.

Thinking the funny story was over I was shocked, appalled, and nauseated when I woke up this morning. Having gone to bed early Brandon left Tiko in the house for the night (mistake #3- Brandon). I got up at 3:45 to use the restroom and I was confused at Tiko's reaction to me moving around; he was super clingy and needy as if there was a nasty storm outside. It was so out of the norm that despite my slumbered state I remembered his reaction; however, I still went back to bed and quickly fell back to sleep with out giving it another thought. Up at 6:45 to start the day I walked toward Andrew's room.

The dog had gotten sick all over the foyer. Moaning I headed for the kitchen and found more in the living room, all over the the kitchen, and in the dining area. By then the smell smacked me up side the head and I almost lost it. Running for the bathroom and calling for Brandon, who was in the shower, I explained the situation. We hashed out a clean up plan and Brandon retrieved Andrew from his room so I could avoid the smell of the foyer as much as possible. Lighting candles, turning on the fan, and opening windows we started to clean up. It was everywhere. Brandon found more on the carpet in the hall, it was on the kitchen cabinets, the baseboards, and even the dining area curtains. Everywhere.

As Brandon walked the house and found more and more of it he cried out: "Our entire house has been defecated!"  As we cleaned the house Andrew sat contently strapped in his booster eating his breakfast and occasionally commenting: "uh-oh!" While we wiped and mopped the title we had to borrow some carpet cleaner from a neighbor since we couldn't find ours. I couldn't help but chuckle and immediately felt horrible for finding the situation so funny.

All is clean and disinfected and Brandon and I scrubbed our hands like doctors going into surgery when it was all done and clean; I still feel gross. Tiko will remain outside the rest of the week and I would like to recant my previous statement, smart dog. STUPID DOG! Brandon has decided that Tiko will never sleep in the house again; Brandon never wants to wake up to a situation like this morning EVER again! hehehehe. :)

You could say Brandon and I had a pretty stinky morning. ;) Lavender spray people- it works, invest in some!

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure, Erin! And way to go for keeping a positive attitude; I remember how smells affected me when I was pregnant. I believe I would have added to the mess! :)

    ReplyDelete