Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cloth Diapering Step 1: Read the Fine Print

As Brandon carried a package in from the mail box he teased asking what in the world did I order now. Taking only a second to think I remembered, cloth diapers! Our thirty day trial had arrived. Feeling like a kid at Christmas I couldn't help but tear the package open immediately upon Brandon handing it to me. All thought went out the window, including dinner preparations, as I greedily pull each item out of the bag to inspect and get a closer look.

There was only one of each diaper. I only held 3 modern cloth diapers and 3 indian prefold diapers and the wind was punched right out of my sails. Realizing that dinner needed to be cooked I placed everything back into the bag and tried to calm my frantic mind as to what happened and process my confusion. Slightly distracted at dinner Brandon did most of the parenting and talking as the rest of the evening went on. Once Andrew was in bed I reached for my package and tried again to come to reason with what was inside.


As I touched and worked each diaper, more and more questions starting coming like a tsunami. Immediately I felt a huge sense of discouragement and was immensely overwhelmed. I held 3-6 cloth diapers and wanted to run for the hills. In lue of this discovery... I laughed.

Making my way to the computer I pulled up You Tube and started simple searches of How-To/ Cloth Diaper videos. My husband, having grown in wisdom since our vows, noticed the signs of his wife in the "leave me alone zone" left me for over a hour as I poured over video after video. My panic slowly began to fade at the completion of each video and my confidence and excitement returned as I realized my trial order blunder and made another order. This time I read the fine print. I could order 1 of each brand/ kind of diaper and I needed to order a Snappi (the contraption that replaces old school pins) and Wet Bag (to hold the soiled diapers until washing) separately.

Feeling a sense of relief and a boost of confidence, I was ready to talk to my husband again. It was decided that we would attend a cloth diaper class as well as contact some good friends who currently cloth diaper for some serious Q&A. We're both on board and ready to take it head on.

I'm pretty sure I know what method I'm going to prefer; however, I could be wrong and that method may not work for Andrew. Either way, the diapers are here and once the rest arrive and we have enough to get through 1-2 days we'll start. Next time I'll read the fine print a little closer and make sure I know what to expect, realistically. Lol. I'm excited, it's going to be an adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment