Friday, June 29, 2012

Cloth Diapering Step 2: Diaper Prep

Step1 being buy your diapers. 

So we have all our diapers; 9 in total: 3 pre-folds, 2 fitted, 2 pocket, and 2 all in ones. For this trial, since I didn't read the fine print, we'll have to wash each night. I think this will actually help since I know that if we commit to this the laundry will actually be less. :)

What people don't tell you is that when you get your diapers you have to pre- wash them. This is a process where you wash your diapers numerous times to rid them of manufacturing oils that prevent absorbency. Again contraversy reigns as to how many times, water temp, detergent or a cleaning agent. One sight recommended you just boil them in a large pot for 10 minutes; I wish I had read that first. ;)

I washed them twice in a hot/cold water cycle with an extra cold water rinse with out detergent, drying in between. I dried everything for 30 minutes on high, pulled out the pockets and all in ones to hang dry for the rest of the night then left all the pre-folds and inserts in the dryer for a normal full high cycle with low cool down. I repeated this once and we did not wash our covers. Andrew is not known to have sensitive skin so we were willing to take the risk and avoid washing these until I get a better feel for it. I would hate to ruin the water resistant covers right out of the gate, hehehe.

Although we're not doing this for the environmental value it still saves money to invest in cloth wipes as well. I researched cheap ways to do this and since I don't own a sewing machine and took the advice of a fellow money saver- I bought cheap baby wash clothes. 4 for $1. :) I found a homemade recipe for wipes solution on the internet of items we already had: water, baby wash, and olive oil. I bought a small spray bottle at Dollar Tree and found a medium spray bottle laying around the house. We'll put the smaller in his diaper bag and leave the medium one at the changing table.

Wipes and solution are ready and the diapers are finishing drying. Tomorrow morning I'll stuff the pockets and get it all ready for the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment