Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lock Down

Sharing an office building with other businesses has made working at my company interesting. Since our lobby is on the second floor the stairwell and elevator access to that floor are open to the public; however, to gain access to the third floor you must have an electronic key or be buzzed up by the front desk. The same is true to gain access around the second floor. The lobby is open but to be able to walk back to any offices or even to open the bathroom door you must have your assigned electronic key or have the front desk receptionist electronically unlock one of these doors for you.

Having trained myself from day one, each time I step out of my office I pick up my key and make my way around the building while wishing I worked on the third floor. Even though you need a key to gain access to the third floor once there you are free to move about without the road block of a locked door. Those working on the third floor can go the bathroom without fear of getting locked out or having to, yet again, ask the receptionist to open the door for you.

When initially considering the reason for the second floor lock down, someone’s purse was stolen by an outsider, you can’t help but be grateful for the security of our two floors. Giving it more thought you might realize that if you have an office on the second floor you must carry your electronic key around with you at all times or remain forever at the mercy of the front desk receptionist. Although she will gladly open a door for you I can’t imagine the frustration it might cause her to be constantly asked to open this door or that door. The embarrassment of having to ask her to open the bathroom door each time the need presents itself is reason enough to guard your electronic key as if it were a piece of the crown jewels.

Having left my key at home this morning I found myself in a position of humbleness and mercy. Understand that before having a child my bladder, in my opinion, was the strongest muscle in my body. I could drink my 8 cups of water and hold it for the entire day if I chose to. Even while pregnant I maintained most of my strength and laughed as other pregnant women ran to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Now that my son is here my poor bladder is weak, tired, and incapable of holding even a cup of liquid for an hour and I had a cup of coffee while driving to work.

Having only been back at work for two weeks I am still working out my morning routine that will get me to work on time. I was 15 minutes early this morning. Waiting in my car for a female coworker to pull in I gathered the courage I would need to sheepishly ask her to let me in the bathroom. Just the thought of even considering asking a male coworker to such an act caused enough embarrassment for me to avoid eye contact with the three that walked in the building while I sat in my car waiting. After what felt like an hour, but was only minutes, a female coworker pulled into the parking lot. Eagerness took over and I almost leaked my cup of coffee on the front car seat. Taking a deep breath and pushing my pride over such a silly and nonsensical matter aside I stepped from the car and made my way inside to ask her the big question:

“Can you open the bathroom for me?”

To give a little padding to my already bruised pride I will be refraining from all liquids today.

No comments:

Post a Comment