Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thrush

For the past few weeks we have seen a downward spiral in Andrew's disposition and it wasn't until the daycare called requesting permission to give him Tylenol did I foresee a serious problem in sight. After a day of nonstop screaming and two doctor appointments Andrew was diagnosed with a bad case of thrush.

Thrush: (in simple terms) a yeast/fungal infection in the mouth.

Thrush is considered highly contagious and we were told that should anything go in the boy's mouth it will need to be sanitized. Given that he is almost 4 months old my eyes widened at the thought of keeping anything out of his mouth and cleaning everything that went in it. This also meant that he would not be allowed at daycare until the infection is gone. For once in the past four weeks I gave thanks that I was unemployed, allowing me to stay home with him.

Once home from the doctor Brandon went out to fill the boy's prescriptions while I searched the house for anything that might have been in his mouth over the last two weeks. Laundry was done and bottle nipples, toys, and pacifiers were boiled all while the boy slept.

I pulled out an old and empty wipes box to put contaminated objects in for boiling later, made sure to have the box of q-tips ready for the 4 times daily medicine application, and we have the wipes box out for constant hand cleaning. Since the boy is an avid sucker we have an ample supply of pacifiers; this should cut down the boiling time and frequency immensely.

If anything the boy sure does keep us on our toes, constantly!

1 comment:

  1. yeah. Thrush is no fun. Rachael got it 2 times and the boiling stuff and all was a carnival of teamwork on Matt and my part. I too have found that my child's advocacy can sometimes extend into the Doctor's office when that Motherly instinct tells me "Something just isn't right, even if the doctor can't tell yet." And usually within a few days one of my two have some kind of uckiness. Hope lil Mann feels better soon, Take care.

    ReplyDelete