Monday, January 18, 2010

Birthday Fun

Friday was the hubby's 27th b-day so of course I had an evening of fun planned. I made "reservations" at The Great Stony River Legendary Steakhouse and wrapped his present in 6 different boxes.

Since I got home earlier than planned I scooted his big present over to him wanting him to believe it was heavy and breakable. Although he didn't believe it was heavy he was surprised to find another wrapped box inside. After unwrapping 4 boxes he began to glare at me, hehehe, after 6 he threatened to throw me out the window if there was another box. I got him the first 2 seasons of The Big Bang Theory and even those were wrapped separately. After 6 boxes and tons of wrapping paper later he was pleased to see that we could spend the next couple days watching our new favorite show! We had to promise one another that we would not watch any episodes in the other's absence.

With the evening starting out on such a good note we headed to the Stony River with high spirits. Since the restaurant is in The Summit it took us almost 10 minutes to find a place to park, but even then we were 5 minutes early for our "reservation". I say "reservation" because it's not really a reservation; it's what they call priority seating. You put your name on the list for a certain time, if a table is ready at that time then you are seated right away but if there is not a table you are told that you will wait no more than 30 minutes before being seated. The place was packed when we arrived but due to our priority seating we were told it would be no more than 30 minutes; however, a HOUR AND 15 MINUTES LATER we were finally lead to a table.

At one point we think we over heard the hostess tell someone there was over a 2 hour wait and where did all those people wait, in and around the hostess stand and bar of course. It was hard to walk around and getting to our table was like walking through a maze so the hostess had to lead us all the way around the parameter to get to a table that was right next to the hostess stand. Our table, although not next to the bar, was fairly close to it and the noise level was insane. Even though Brandon was sitting right in front of me I could not hear a word he was saying. We spent the whole meal leaning across the table and yelling at one another.

We couldn't help but chuckle when they brought us the bread; the dinner rolls were the size of donut holes and kinda of tasted like them. We only got 4 rolls and the waitress seemed shocked when we asked for more; after a hour and 15 minute wait we were hungry and the bite of bread we received had not pacified us in the least. The food was good but not something I would write home about or rave to my friends about; Brandon got the prime rib and I chose one of their signature filet's. We enjoyed the food but I doubt it will be a restaurant we go to again. One of the main reasons we chose that restaurant was because we had a $20 off coupon; it's a 5 star restaurant so the prices are high and $20 off really helped. We opted out of dessert, nothing looked good, and decided to eat the cake and ice cream we had at home.

We joked on the way home that it was, yet again, my fault that things didn't turn out quite as planned (Kennedy Curse). Brandon teased that my expectations were too high; however, I think having an expectation of being seated with in the 30 minutes I was told was reasonable. Plus, I have medical issues that require that 30 minute time limit to be met. Oh well, it makes for a good story and I told Brandon that we just needed to realize that we are not high class, do not have high class taste, and need to just stick with Japanese because it would taste just as good and be much cheaper! We finished off the evening with a Big Bang Theory marathon.
The evening was full of laughter and Brandon had a good birthday, from what I've heard. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment