Thursday, January 3, 2013

He's Called Monkey for a Reason

A few weeks back Andrew had an ENT check up. Although I HATE driving in the rain me and Andrew headed out across town to see the ENT and check on his ear tubes. All was well, Andrew did great, we don't have to go back for 6 months unless we have problems. :)

As we drove home I thought over the rest of the day planning and trying to decide if we had everything we needed for dinner. As I drove up the HWY in the pouring down rain I took note of how many semi-trucks were on the road and noticed how visibility was getting worse the further north I got. I thanked Christ for the positive outcome of the check up, the rain I despised - asking for safety, and the peace and quiet of the drive.

Hm, the peace and quiet of the drive...

I checked on Andrew and immediately gripped the wheel turning my knuckles white as I almost swerved. Andrew was leaning over the front of his chair attempting to pull off his shoe. I did a double take and sure enough my son was 1/2 way out of his car seat. Having already unbuckled the plastic piece at his chest he had removed BOTH arms and was working on his feet. As I looked the second time I noted that one leg was out of the strap up to the knee.

Taking a deep breath and using my "mom" voice I sternly began a monologue about car safety. "We do not unbuckle our car seat, it is not safe.We do not get out of our chair, it is not safe. It scares mommy when we get out of our chair and it is not safe, ect..." All the while I am quickly debating whether to pull over on the side of the road or drive the 2 miles to the rest area. Having been hit on the side of the road, in the rain, I opted for the rest area and got over as quickly as I could. As I continued my monologue/ lecture, that I'm sure went straight over my son's head, I prayed that we would make it to the rest area safely. The rain was picking up and semi-trucks seemed to start coming out the wood works.

Once parked I climbed out and opened my son's door. Shock slapped me across the face as I saw that he had one leg COMPLETELY free and the other was stuck. He had been unable to get his shoe off and it was holding him up. He couldn't get his shoe passed the edge of the seat so he couldn't get beyond his knee out of the strap.

Continuing my lecture I re-strapped my son into his seat and pulled the straps tights causing a whine: "TIGHT!" from my son. I smiled and explained they were tight for a reason and he was to remain in his chair until we got home.

I don't remember the rest of the drive. God was watching over us because I probably spent more time checking on Andrew in my rear view mirror than I did looking out my windshield, despite the rain. He has not tried anything since so maybe my monologue did help! Either way I'm glad he didn't fully escape because had he showed up at my shoulder I might have wrecked the car.

Who knew my son would be such a problem solver... I blame Brandon for that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment