Friday, July 13, 2012

No Way In

I feel that I haven't had a really good laugh out loud story in a while... well... call it pregnancy brain, stupidity, or just a good learning experience- here you go:

I have worked at our churches counseling center as an administrative assistant for almost 4 months. I schedule clients, process the files, work with insurance, deal with claims, update our database, and complete general office tasks- I love it. Fridays are pretty low key days and most Friday afternoons I am here by myself. I kick off my shoes, lock the doors, and crank my music while feverishly working away and getting stuff done! I LOVE my Fridays.

My boss took off around 11:30 for lunch. I settled into a stopping point and around 12 decided I would go into the kitchen and heat up my own lunch. Knowing that the front door and interior door were locked I grabbed a key and made my way to the kitchen. As the interior door shut I found the kitchen door to be locked. Shocked and shaking my head I put my key in the lock and attempted to turn. Nothing. I turned and put the key in the interior door and attempted to turn. Notta. Complete and utter confusion swept over me and I racked my brain as to what just happened. I tried the kitchen door again. Zip. I tried the interior door again. Zilch.

Beginning to chuckle and thinking of a previous conversation with a co-worker I stepped into our waiting area toward the window. Recalling how my co-worker stated that she would love to see me crawl through the window, should I ever lock myself out, because I'm the only one that would fit I thought it a viable solution to my insane "how did this happen" problem. I was wrong. When the last client of the morning left, I locked the window to save myself a step that afternoon when I locked up and left for the night. The window was locked.

Standing in the middle of the waiting room I realized I was trapped and bust out laughing. THANKFULLY, last minute, I had grabbed my phone. I could walk to the church and find a facilities guy with a key or call and have them come over. Looking at my phone the battery was blinking; I had about 20 minutes left of call time. Shaking my head, yet again at the luck, I dialed the church.

As soon as the receptionist picked up I knew it had rolled over to the office... that meant there was NO ONE at the church that could come let me in. Good thing I didn't walk over but CRAP! Making sure, I asked if anyone was at the church and as I thought it was a ghost town. No big surprise given that most of the staff take Friday off since they have to work the weekend. Laughing at myself I humbly dialed my boss and requested a rescue operation. Since we have a spare set of keys in the kitchen, for situations like getting locked out of the interior door, it took me a few moments to explain that I was also locked out of the kitchen with no access to said keys. I feared going outside and not being able to get back in the building at all. *(Good thing I had already picked up the mail!).

With nothing to do and my phone dying I made myself comfortable on our couch and patiently waited for help to arrive. I made sure to have a big smile ready for my boss when he walked in the door. With both of us laughing we pondered how the kitchen door had gotten locked. Until today I didn't even know the kitchen door HAD a lock.

Lessons learned:
- Our kitchen door has a lock.
- The "master" key I grabbed is actually a key to JUST the offices. It does not open the interior, kitchen, or exterior doors of the building.
- (In lue of the situation) The windows in the bathroom, although small, DO open. hehehe.

All VERY good things to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment