Thursday, February 18, 2010

Conditioning

Most introductory psychology classes begin with an introduction to Pavlov's slobbering dogs. The man rings a bell and gives the dog a treat until eventually the sound of the bell causes the dog to salivate with out the use of treats. This idea and concept is called conditioning and is a common way to train dogs, cats, and all animals alike. What about humans, can they be conditioned as well? My thought is yes.

I've been in 3 car accidents in my entire life, in all three I was driving and it was raining. Now any time I get behind the wheel of a car in the rain my palms sweat and my pulse quickens and fear sets in. I am a huge fan of cinnamon and just the smell of cinnamon rolls makes my stomach growl and my mouth water.

Conditioning can be a positive or a negative and a useful tool in life when used correctly. As a follower of Christ I need to condition myself to certain behaviors. For example I need to have a NEED to read scripture daily or pray on a regular basis, I need to condition my spirit to desire time with Christ. Easier said than done, I know, but if there is one thing I've learned over the years it's consistency is key.

Through high school and my college career any time I was stressed or needed to focus I would play a cheap Irish CD my sister gave to me (the one that I bathe with). I listen to it while bathing, in college I would pop it in while writing papers, and today I constantly find myself pulling it up on i-tunes at work when things get hectic or I'm having a hard time focusing. I have conditioned my spirit to respond positively to it; two of its songs where in my wedding and even what I walked down the isle to. What an impact I've made on myself with this music and CD.

Despite attempts at creating such an effect with my walk with Christ I just haven't reached the same level of impact. If it's so easy to do with a CD then why is it so hard to create the same effect with Christ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment