Wednesday, September 23, 2009

There are no words...

Grand Canyon is...


Monday morning Brandon and I headed out for the Grand Canyon National Park unsure of what to expect. We knew it was going to be beautiful. We knew it was going to be on a large scale. We knew it was going to be completely unique. We never imagined what we saw. There truly are no words that would give justice to the creation of the Grand Canyon; beautiful, incredible, and amazing just don't sound good enough. As we entered the park and found a spot to park the car our view was blocked by trees. After getting out and walking to the rim we both just stood in complete silence and in awe of what was before us. Once the shock wore off we continued down the rim trail only stopping every now and again to snap a picture or two or watch as tourists stared out with the same dumbfounded look that I'm sure we wore more than once while there. Despite spending 3 days at the canyon, every time I took a moment to look out over it all I still could not take it in. Never in my life have I felt so insignificant to my creator and His plan or stood in such complete awe of something.

The Grand Canyon was not made over night. The fact that God knew what the outcome would be as each year passed and the beauty it would behold atounds me. Over thousands of years God waited and watched as His creation was molded; I imagine Him anxiously awaiting for the incredible reveal when it reached it's full potential.

It was during out 12 mile hike into the canyon, which I highly recommend to anyone who has the energy and time to do while there, that I am like the Grand Canyon. No, people don't flock to come and see my beauty (what little I have) on a daily basis but I am slowly being molded on a daily basis. Christ is axiously awaiting for me to reach my full potential and patiently creating me into something He finds beautiful; something He is proud to look on daily. My hope is that people will be drawn to me as they are to the canyon. The beauty they find there, although some don't know it, is Christ. I hope that others are drawn to the beauty of Christ in me too just as they are to the Grand Canyon.


My husband laughed at me all three days for "glowing". He just couldn't seem to get over how much pure joy just radiated out of me while we were there. Even after 10 miles of hiking, extreme heat and exhaustion, and 2 miles straight UP to go I still "glowed".

As I've said there are no words that would give justice to the beauty that the Grand Canyon holds. It has always been a dream to go and to hike down into the canyon and I couldn't be more content to have fulfilled that dream. The hike was nothing like I've ever done before. Although my husband may not agree, I found it to be well worth the pain and exhaustion we experienced. It was one thing to stand at the rim and look down, it was something completely different to be 300 ft. from the bottom of the canyon looking up at it's walls. To be completely immursed within the rocks and see the formations and cliffs up close; there is nothing like it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I too hope Christ in me is able to be seen far greater than anything I may think I have to offer. It's so humbling to watch Creation at it's finest and feel so small. Nice to be put in place and enjoy our Lord's beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete