Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Just Get Me to the Church on Time"

Being a fan of musicals I can't help but smile when I hear the song or tune "Get Me to the Church on Time" from My Fair Lady. Although the song is silly and the man talks of his bride to be in a negative light I can't help but hope there is an underlying feeling of love that he must feel for her and that is why he feels the need, not pressure, to be there when she comes walking down the isle.



June 9, 2007 Brandon and I vowed to commit our lives to one another just as the couple in the song is about to. With daisies in my hair, flip flops on my feet, and excitement in my stomach I vowed: "to love and to serve, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, till death do us part." We have 2 years of marriage that include: an illness filled honeymoon, a water boil advisory anniversary, a puppy, a dog eaten couch and cellphone, lots of chocolate, and the purchase of a new home. 2 years later here we are, still married.

One of my biggest dreams in life is to have a 50th wedding anniversary. They are so rare in our modern world of divorce that I want to be able to say that I've accomplished something great. To be able to say I was married to Brandon for 50 years, if that's not an accomplishment of some sort then what is?! With 2 years behind us we only have 48 to go.

We have spent many nights screaming and arguing. We have spent many hours laughing and smiling. We have spent many days with family and friends. It has been 2 years of personal growth and insight. It has been 2 years of trying to figure out how in the world to live with someone other than family. It has been 2 years of creating our own family and in the end we still love each other.

I'll be honest, the past 2 years have been by the hardest in my life! No amount of marriage advice or counseling could ever have prepared me for what Brandon and I have endured. The long nights of tears, heartache, and pain were not because I have a horrible husband, he is just the greatest, but because I've been a disrespectful wife. Finally after 2 LONG years of my husband screaming, crying, and desperately trying to get me to understand his needs- I get it! I'm excited to say that I now have at least 48 years to show my husband what I've learned in the past 2.

So as my 2 year anniversary has come and gone, here's to 2 years of marriage, growth, learning, love, and most importantly patience.

Here's to my husband Brandon, the greatest man I know!

1 comment:

  1. cngradulations, Erin. I can only hope and pray that you will be blessed with another 48 years of marriage... even if it means learning and growing some more as God redefines two into one. Glad to have caught up wih you, old friend. -Monica (Elvy) Stauffer

    ReplyDelete